A partial "before" photo of the nightstand and corner of the room:
I searched online for ideas and tips about spray painting it. I came across this detailed post on the Tip Junkie and referenced it throughout.
I used Valspar primer & paint (color: Indigo Streamer). Then sealed it with Minwax Polycrylic spray. The nightstand had a gritty feel to it after it had dried. On a whim, I took an old washcloth and gently buffed it in a circular motion. It smoothed it out nicely.
I originally planned to replace the hardware, but not finding any I liked and wanting to save money, I followed a suggestion from Scrap Me Baby blog and simply spray painted the existing handles. I used a silver, hammered finish spray paint by Rustoleum that we already owned.
The end result ...
I am thrilled with the way it turned out. Like a brand new piece. My only regret is not doing this sooner! I will be refinishing the dresser & mirror to match but, for now, am waiting until we move. I have a lot of packing still to do and that needs to take priority!